From: Programmer [mailto:prog@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:53 AM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; 'Brandon Stewart'
Subject:  Function Misbehaving

The following function is a basic user auth prep procedure for multiple
pages.  If the url desired is different than the default a url is supplied.

This function works most of the time flawlessly; except, on some pages when
the url has a value that was passed, the function still thinks url is NULL
until it is used, such as printing it or assigning another variable its
contents.  Another way to eliminate this sporadic problem is to rename the
parameter url to something else, such as url2.  There are no global or
session vars with the url name.  Why does php think url is null when it is
not, but only fault in this manner part of the time.  Any help would be
appreciated.

// Code

function Secure_Login($user,$pass,$db,$pg,$url=NULL)

                        {

                                    //print($url);  if I uncomment this url
is no longer null or if I rename url to url2

                                                $checkuser =
is_user($user,$pass,$db);

                                                if (!$checkuser)

                                                {