Mysql strategy

If I have to perform 30 LIKE searches for different keywords in a
varchar field, which strategy would be recommended:
1) 30 searches, one for each keyword
2) To select the varchar field from all the rows, and search through
them with php's array functions?

There are about 500 rows in the table, and growing. The mysql server
is on localhost, and the machine is a dedicated server running RHEL.
It's not my machine, so I'd like to be responsible with resources, as
much as I can be. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/ajax.html