Re: Sorting MySQL queries

On 07/11/06, replies-lists-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<replies-lists-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
you really need to deal with this issue at the database design/data
entry level. doing things on the sort to exclude (otherwise undefined)
initial articles (as some have suggested) is very maintenance heavy as
you have to update the sort portion for every language your data are
entered in. additionally, an initial word that's an initial article in
one language may not be in another.

at the database design/data entry level the common approaches include:

  - a separate field for initial articles
  - separate sort and print fields
  - an initial article offset indicator that is used for sorting

the first of these is probably the easiest and most portable. the last
is easy, but probably the least portable. i consider the separate
print/sort fields to be the least desirable since it's a lot of
redundant data that has to be managed and maintained.

in my experience, if you encounter a setup that doesn't support the
proper handling of initial articles it's best to fix things at the
database/data entry level as soon as possible -- otherwise the
resolution just gets more "expensive" (however you define that).

Although I wouldn't have known to define it as such, I also don't like
the idea of redundant data littering the DB. But it does seems to be
the easiest method to implement as far as coding, and the fastest way
to retrieve the data.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/xml.html
http://essentialinux.com/