Re: PHP and dynamic DHTML TREE (not menu) - suggestions

Edward Kay wrote:
> How about http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/treeview/ ?

I made an ajaxy tree using this and other bits of YUI,
using data from a mysql db that is then output as JSON data.
getting it together was all rather painless, I can very much recommend
using YUI's treeview. :-)

I use the tree to display a explorer like view of  all the 'pages'
defined in a CMS' database and generate icons alongside each node
for deleting, moving, editing, etc when the tree is rendered using the data
retrieved via 'ajax' - each list of children is retrieved as/when a node is
expanded.

it is possible to define custom Node 'subclasses' (sub-prototypes?)
[in javascript] that allow you completely customize the functionality/display/etc
of each (type of) node.

the Dojo toolkit will also do what you want but the learning curve is steeper.

I've used both and while I like dojo for the insane ammount of functionality
I prefer to use YUI for smaller solutions.
(i.e. not full blown 'ajax/dhtml applications')

rgds,