Re: list of countries

On Tue, November 7, 2006 11:40 am, James Tu wrote:
> Does anyone have a list of countries in a handy format for importing
> into MySQL?  I just really need a list.  Wikipedia has a nice list,
> but it's muddled by HTML tags.
>
> If you also have them in Chinese and Arabic that would be even better.

If you Google for "ISO Country Names Codes" you'll find the standard
list of countries and their 2-character codes.

I suck that down every few months in a cron job and reset my country
list in MySQL from it.

I figure nobody can expect much better than that, given how seldom a
country name changes or countries spring up out of nowhere or
disappear. [tongue firmly planted in cheek, folks!]

I'm sure somebody somewhere living in some country that does not make
the ISO list will be mad at me someday, but I dunno what else I could
do...

I'm open to suggestions, however!

And the Wikipedia list plus http://php.net/strip_tags might be better.

--