Re: postgreSQl and images

On Sat, November 4, 2006 5:38 pm, Børge Holen wrote:
> either you end up with a had as method of grouping them together,
> moreover you can have thousands of small files inside one dir with an
> id name
> to it, and yes the last one, thousands of directories with one file
> inside...

Speaking as a guy who has 65,000+ mp3s "on-line" (though only a
fraction of them available to the general public) I'd go crazy if they
were all in the DB, not to mention that my webhost would kill me...

But I'm not dumb enough to put them all in one directory either.

"foobar.mp3" goes in "/f/o/foobar.mp3"

Actually, which *drive* it is on is determined by the date the audio
was recorded, as I have about a Terabyte available spread across 4
cheap IDE drives, and just change a simple include file when one of
the drives is nearly full to start using up the next one.

So it really turnes into one of these:
"drive1/f/o/foobar.mp3"
"drive2/f/o/foobar.mp3"
"drive3/f/o/foobar.mp3"
.
.
.
based on what date the live performance occurred, which is in my
meta-data, which I need to get for the on-the-fly ID3 tags anyway. [*]

It's all very crude and shoestring budget, but it works.

Well, except until they turned off the A/C in the office last summer,
and then spilled coffee grounds all over the box... :-(

But I found an old computer in the closet that I had found in a
dumpster and threw the hard drives in that, and it works.  495 MHz
seems enough for my audio server. :-)

I'm finishing up a process of copying the files to a "real" host so
I'll have a crude 2-tier fail-over.

Anyway, you have to plan this out with some idea of what scale and
scope you are dealing with to avoid insanity, but cramming binary data
into the DB seems like the least attractive choice to me personally.

[*] It's a shame the MP3 players all seem to ignore my nifty JPEG ID3
data I'm pre-pending to the audio streams.  You have to download the
files just to see the artist photo.  Sigh.

PS
Feel free to give a listen if you like accoustic music:
http://uncommonground.com/radio_hifi.m3u
http://uncommonground.com/radio_lofi.m3u
(hifi, lofi, respectively, obviously)

iTunes Podcast version is in "beta" if you're interested in being a
beta-tester...
Same audio, just in RSS/XML format.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.