Date calculation

I have one more date based question.

I have a month field ( $month ) and a day field ( $day ) being submitted
by a form.

I have a third field to be used as a date reminder for the information
which was submitted as part of the form.  It is a reminder to complete a
task for the date was which was submitted as part of the form.

How do I calculate the $reminder date based on $month and $day and have
it output in the YYYY-MM-DD format?  $reminder is the number of days
before $month $day  (I want to use $reminder in a date format to SELECT
records from a mySQL table)  This is why I am wanting put $reminder into
a date format

If $month was 6 and $day was 7 and $reminder was 6 then I would want the
output to be 2007-06-01 --- We have already passed June 1st in 2006.
However if $month was 11 then I would want the output to use this years
date --- 2006-11-01

Any suggestions?

Ron