Re: Working with overly aggressive anti-spam measures

On Tue, October 10, 2006 3:01 am, Dave M G wrote:
> Content analysis details:   (0.3 points, 5.0 required)
>
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ----------------------
>  0.3 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto
> white-list
>
> I looked up about auto white-lists on the net, and it says that it's a
> comparison between the current and previous emails. But for testing
> purposes, I don't really want it to compare against previous emails,
> since previous test emails would be "spammier" and bias spamassassin
> the
> wrong way.
>
> How can I compensate for this?

That's gotta be some kind of SA setting...

> 2. I've attempted to add the "Return-Path" headers to my headers, like
> so:
>
> $headers = "Return-Path: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\n";

No, no, no.

cannot just set it in the $headers variable 4th arg to PHP mail().

Return-path is a super-special only-god-can-do-this header, and has to
be set in the sendmail_path or with that new FIFTH arg, which only
works if you've got permissions set up right in sendmail (or whatever)
and PHP (no safe mode).

> $headers .= "From: Tokyo Street Hockey Association
> <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>\n";

> $headers .= "X-Sender: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\n";

This is not needed.

> mail($member, $subject, $content, $headers);
>
> And yet, when I look at the headers of the email that's being
> generated,
> it says:

> [123.123.123.123] (may be forged)
>
> (Note that I've changed the names of servers and the DNS just to keep
> some info private)
>
> Why are my attempts to set these headers in PHP not taking effect?

They're just not handled like normal headers, as they are part of the
routing of the email handled by mail software more than they are
regular old headers.

It's just the way it is, no matter how goofy it seems from our (well,
my, anyway) naive view-point.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?