Re: Uploading files / processing with a PHP script

On Sun, October 8, 2006 2:49 pm, Larry Garfield wrote:
> The owner of a file can change ownership of the file, too, I believe,
> essentially "willing" it to someone else.

I sure hope not...

Cuz then I could chmod 4777 a file to make it execute as owner, then I
could "will" it to 'root' owner, and then I am root.
[4### is how you make it "run as user" right?...]

Actually, at that point, as it's chmod 777, *every* user on the
machine is 'root' as they can cram whatever they want into that file.
Total chaos ensues.

That would be bad. :-) :-) :-)

> A better solution is to set the file's group permissions to 7, then
> chown the
> file to apache:mygroup, then put both apache and your ftp user into
> the
> mygroup group.

This is a Good Solution, however, and probably most closely resembles
the real-world need: www and rpiggot need to be in a common group of
users with access to this file.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?