RE: Client Computer Registration

actually richar, and others...

depending on what they're doing, it's quite alot to it.

if the bank is being agressive, they might be requiring a client app to be
downloaded and is then able to communicate with the client app, thereby
getting a great deal more information. a few companies have begun the
process of not just dealing with authorizing the user, but the
computer/device as well. and it really makes sense. in this way, i as a
business can state with a high degree of confidence that the computer in the
house (assuming i as a business were to take it that far) was used for the
transaction in question...

furthermore, if the dispute isn't satisfied, i can then add the computer to
a "blacklist" of devices.. if enough companies use this kind of system, and
the database is large enough, it becomes an additional tool to use to
minimize online transaction abuse...

as to if people want to be part of this kind of system.. that's a huge
unknown... to be frank, it does open up a number of potential 'privacy'
issues.. but as scott mcnealy said before.."you have no privacy, get over
it!!"

peace...

ps. check out www.passmarksecurity.com