Re: Print or Echo takes lots of time

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 18:46 -0500, Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Tue, September 26, 2006 6:35 pm, Curt Zirzow wrote:
> >> I wonder what would happen if you put your swap on a RAM disk?
> >
> > I actually have done this, it works like a charm :)
> >
> > you just have to ensure swap doesn't run out... of course i'd only
> > recomend this on a dedicated machine for like firewalling or a
> > gateway.
>
> Like...
>
> Wouldn't it just make more sense to not have swap at all?...
>
> I mean, you can only be increasing overhead and whatnot...
>
> I suppose if you just plain CANNOT build the system with no swap,
> because the tools won't let you do that...
>
> Hmmmm.  Never tried to build a swap-less box, for obvious reasons...

*lol* I was gonna say, why the hell would anyone make swap into a
ramdisk when the memory used for the ramdisk would be better used as
primary RAM. I presumed you were joking Richard which you clarify above,
but Curtis now has me wondering :B The only time I'd use a ramdisk for
swap is if I had the extra cash to shell out for one of the pretend hard
drives that really map to RAM... like this sucker:

    http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=13968

Cheers,
Rob.