Re: Print or Echo takes lots of time

On Mon, September 25, 2006 7:11 am, Sancar Saran wrote:
> When I was check the performance of my system I found interesting
> resuts.
>
> My code stores html output into a variable. When page creation
> complete I
> printed out the variable.
>
> Problem was generation html code takes 0.5 second and just
> echo $strPage takes 2.0 or more second.
>
> my code structure was.
>
> $strPage = "<html> yada dayda";
> $strPage.= " another html tags";
> $strPage.= getSqlDataAndCreateSomeHtmlCOde();
> end of page creation.
> Current Total execution time 0.5 seconds.
> print $strPage;
> Current Total execution time 2.5 seconds.
>
> $strPage carries entire html structure (for example equal of 100K html
> code);
>
> excluding the cookie and other kind of header transfers and error
> messages,
> there was no print or echo command was submitted.
>
> Is there any idea about this latency and any idea to find problem...

You could try echo-ing it out in "chunks" instead of waiting until the
very end.

echo/print has to send the data "out" through the very narrow pipe to
Apache -> the browser

If you send every little snippet one tiny piece at a time, you waste
resources.

If you wait until the end and send out some huge monster string, you
waste resources.

Find the balance if you can.

Depends on your hardware/bandwidth exactly where optimum is.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm