Re: File Upload Security and chmod

At 7:19 PM -0600 9/22/06, Andy Hultgren wrote:
For whatever reason when I ftp in using WinFtp I don't see public_html
(it's hidden, don't know why; if I make a directory called
".public_html" it gets created and then disappears), but I can see my
file structure from my host's website and so I know that when I ftp in
to myDomain.com this is what is "there":

index.htm
page1.htm
page2.htm
.public_html/
images/
etc. etc.

Andy:

Sorry, I didn't catch all of the thread, but this is my drift.

When you access your site (http://yourdomain.com) via a browser, do you see the above index.htm?

If so, and you want to stay with that host, then leave the .public_html/ folder alone, and build your site using WinFTP, or whatever.

If you want to change permissions for a file from within a php script, then ftp into your site (using ftp_login), change the parent folder permissions, do your file thing (upload, delete, save, etc.), and then change the parent folder permissions back and it's done.

At least that's the way I do it working on a shared host and it works for me.

tedd

--
-------