Re: Re: Most stable combination of AMP?

Børge Holen wrote:
On Wednesday 20 September 2006 18:06, Pawel Miroslawski wrote:
On 9/20/06, Kae Verens <kae@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
James Tu wrote:
Hi:

I'm trying to setup a dev environment using Apache, MySQL and PHP...to
develop an application that will go to production.
What is the most stable versions of the AMP components should I can
install?

The production environment will most likely live on a Linux machine. My dev environment will be on OS X.
that's a religious question. some people advocate some distributions over
others.

Personally, I recommend Fedora - it's easy to install, and you can use
"yum"
and "yumex" (graphical yum) for package management.

Kae

--
Hi
I agree it's a religious question.

Representant of debian's church ;)
Paul
 *
*

Disipel of the same church. Never any problems and rock stable.

Well, though I tout in favor of Debian MOST of the time (especially for stable distributions), sometimes it's not possible to use the stable distro releases, as they many times are way-behind the current version of the software and it limits you to the features you have available.

For example, the stable version of mod_php for apache under Debian is 4.3.10-16, compared to the current stable release of PHP 4.4.4!

AIA, if you aren't too picky and don't need particular versions of your packages, then use your package manager to install them. Else, it's oftentimes better to compile and install packages from scratch as many compile-time options will increase performance for your particular hardware and allow customization (pick and choose what you do and don't want compiled into PHP). For both cases (especially if your development and production hardware are different), make sure you compile/install each environment with the same settings (configure options) to make absolutely certain that you don't have missing dependencies / expectations on your production system when they were there on the dev box.

--
Christopher Weldon, ZCE
President & CEO