Resource problem affecting Curl functions

  I run a shared webserver with a few hundred vhost containers in
Apache's config.  Recently I got to a point where I added enough vhosts
to cause a problem with curl functions in PHP.  Basically, when PHP
tries to make the curl call to get the webpage, it just hangs the HTTP
request to my webserver.  If I remove a few vhost containers, the
problem stops, if I add them back, the problem starts again.

  I've tried turning up several ulimit values in the apache init script,
but none of those fixed the problem.  I know that its not a problem with
the number of file handles that apache can open because I also had to do

ulimit -n 32768

in the apache init script recently in order to allow more logfiles to be
opened.

  Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the curl problem?

This is running on:

Apache 2.0.51
PHP 4.3.10
Linux 2.6.13

/proc/sys/fs/file-max is set to 524288

lsof | wc -l  returns 33497

Thanks,

Mark

ps. I am well aware that I need to upgrade my software so there is no
need to tell me to do that. I'm working on it.