Re: IE session problem on one server only

Larry Garfield wrote:
Another issue. :-) I've another site I've built that uses PHP sessions for user authentication. When the user logs in with a user/pass, that is matched against a record in the database and, if found, that user object is stored in the session along with various other tracking data like the IP address, and the session key is stored in the user table. Then when viewing a page, the systems compares the session key against the user table and the IP address of the request against the saved IP address. If anything doesn't match up properly, the user is kicked out.

OK, all fine and dandy. It works correctly in both IE and Firefox on our test server. On the live site, however, it works only in Firefox. In IE, it accepts the initial login and displays the first page, but then the next time the user clicks a link they are asked to login again, as if the session is not being sent or saved properly. Both servers are running Linux and PHP 4.3.x.

We had issues before with the session not working correctly in IE, but I fixed those with info from the php.net manual user comments. I'm at a loss as to why it's only happening on the one server and not the other now. If it were the other way around I wouldn't care, but the live site shouldn't break. :-)

Any idea what could be the problem?

It sounds like the IE is putting different security/cookie settings for your local and remote site.

AJ

--
www.deployview.com
www.nerds-central.com