Re: Strange server crash problem

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 00:44 -0500, Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Friday 08 September 2006 00:35, Robert Cummings wrote:
>
> > > The damned thing is, the 4KB mark is reached while outputting the
> > > left-side navigation bar.  The way the CMS is structured (I didn't write
> > > it), that happens before any page-specific content is even loaded.  There
> > > shouldn't be anything different about the code there yet.
> > >
> > > I've been unable to figure out why it happens.  Any idea what to check?
> > > I'm stumped.
> > >
> > > The server itself is (get this) a Windows/IIS box running PHP 4.0.6 (yes,
> > > really) and MS SQL server via ODBC.  I unfortunately do not have direct
> > > access to the box, so I can't check server logs myself.
> >
> > Binary search using error_log() and __LINE__ output to track down where
> > the thing dies.
>
> Binary search?  I must be using a different definition than you are, since I
> don't know what a binary search would do for me when trying to track down a
> problem with output. :-)

Binary search to track down a problem with output means you place log
info at three points in the code, 2 that you are certain lie outside the
error condition, and the 3rd to cut the problem space in two. Then
depending on what gets output you know in which half of the problem
space the error exists. Then you take again divide the problem space
until you find the exact location of the bug.

> I suppose it is possible that it's dying at some point other than where the
> output is stopping.  I've localized where the output stops; it's always at
> the end of a given loop iteration in the code that generates the sidebar; at
> the end of the loop that passes the 4 KB mark, it seems.

I didn't realize you had already tracked down the location. Have you
tried displaying errors? If you're worried about a production site you
could install a custom error handler that displays the error based on
the REMOTE_ADDR value. That won't help you though if a segfault is
occurring. Are the PHP versions the same between machines?

Cheers,
Rob.