Re: Format of Encrypted Password

Kevin Murphy wrote:
I've inherited this website and there is an application that is running on it that has a bunch of passwords stored in a mysql table. The problem is, the previous webmaster didn't leave me any instructions on how they encrypted those passwords. I don't need to figure out what the old passwords were, I just need to be able to generate my own (until such time as I can rebuild this portion of the website).

The passwords are called in the application by:

$_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_PW']

The passwords appear to be 16 character strings that predominately have numbers in them (rather than letters) and don't appear to have any punctuation (although it could be just the few I am looking at that don't).

Is there any way to tell how these passwords were encrypted?

From http://www.php.net/crypt :

CRYPT_BLOWFISH - Blowfish encryption with a sixteen character salt starting with $2$

Could that be the one?

Do you have the mcrypt module installed? I wonder if one of those methods is being used.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/