Re: OT - PHP Hosting Service in UK?

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 10:41 -0400, John Nichel wrote:
> Miles Thompson wrote:
> >
> > I have a Canadian client, presently living in England, who is setting up
> > a vary basic web site. The business is located in the UK, it  makes
> > sense to have the web hosting service in the UK as well.
> >

> Why?  If they're not hosting it in-house, why does it matter where on
> the globe it is?

Request latency due to distance and intermediate hops. The shorter the
distance and fewer hops the faster those little images, stylesheets, and
various other embedded media will load. This won't be very noticeable on
the first page load due to the download times, but other requests that
check timestamps against cache will appear more sluggish than necessary.

Cheers,
Rob.