Brain Death - [PHP] functions classes

I don't know what I was on when I wrote the previous post!

In php you cannot create static class variables in this way (doh) or at least I never have managed. So when faced the this problem I replace what in C++ would be a class variable with a class function

comme ca:

class MyClass
{
    function MyVar($val = null)
    {
	static $datum;
	if(is_null($val))
	{
		return $datum;
	}
	$dataum=$val;
    }

}

I definitely need more coffee!

AJ

Alex Turner wrote:
Larry,

I have hit similar global names space issues in the past and it is a pain in the behind!

One remedial method that can get it stable enough to start to work on is to stick the whole messy lot into classes (NOT OBJECTS!) and then the global name space becomes the local namespace (ie $MyVar becomes $GarbageCode::MyVar).

Once you have done this, you can put accessors functions around the class local variables. This means that all new code calls the accessors.

$newVar=GarbageCode::GetMyVar();

Thus, if you improve the internal representation of the garbage code, code outside the old garbage code will no longer be impacted by the change.

From an FN point of view, you are reducing the access to the variable to a single function point rather than many function points distributed throughout the code base.

Cheers

AJ

PS - if you knew all this before hand - please accept my apologies :-)