MCrypt resource limits?

Hi list,

Yesterday I noticed one of the sites I had created was running really slow.
Yet all the other sites on our webserver were running great.  I had our
network admin look at the cpu, ram usage, etc of the webserver and
everything looked fine.  Finally I just recommended we stick Xdebug on there
to find out what the exact problem was.  It boiled down to my encryption
wrapper object.  I guess there were too many MCrypt resources open at once.
I'm not really sure of the real problem, but when I switched around some
code to avoid unnecessarily loading initializing the resource, the site was
zippy again.

As I was developing locally everything was fine because it was just me
hitting the site.  When I pushed it to the server though there was quite a
bit of traffic to it.  So my question is, are there limits in PHP to how
many resources can be opened?  What about limits to how many MCrypt
resources you can have open?  This specific instance was a stupid mistake on
my part, but I just want to know for future reference.

Thanks!