Re: OT alternate website authentication methods

On 8/18/06, Chris W. Parker <cparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ideas:

1. Use flash to allow the user to draw an image. If the original image
created during signup is within an acceptable range of the image used to
authenticate, let them in.

2. (I saw this somewhere else... don't remember where or what it's
called.) Use flash (again) to allow the user to click on an image in
certain places. I think it was that you clicked the image in three
places and then when you later authenticated you were supposed to click
in those same places plus one more (to throw off anyone looking over
your shoulder I think). As long as three of the 4 places clicked matched
your original points (within a certain tolerance) you were
authenticated.

These ideas are certainly creative, but I would question their
day-to-day usability.  They seem to be more simple than traditional
passwords to observe and duplicate.  Passwords have an advantage of
being obscured visually, and difficult (though not impossible) to
duplicate through simple observation.

The drawn image, unless obscenely complex, would be very prone to
visual snooping, since I assume it is being displayed on the user's
terminal as it's entered.  It would also leave people like myself with
absolutely no drawing talent to either a) be unable to reproduce the
image I drew the first time or b) use something so simple anyone can
do it (did someone say smiley face?).

I fail to see the how adding a 4th click to the image helps security.
It actually makes it easier to defeat in a brute force hack attempt (4
chances to get 3 proper clicks).
Besides, how am I going to write down where I clicked the image on a
post-it so I can stick it on my monitor?  :)