Re: Shopping cart

On Sunday 20 August 2006 20:17, Gerry D wrote:
> On 8/19/06, Larry Garfield <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > OSCommerce is crap.  Don't bother.
>
> Why do you say that, Larry? I may want to get into an app like that
> because I think one of my clients is ready for it. What are the cons,
> and what are my options? What are Drupal's limitations?

I tried using it for a client last summer, because it was available free on
the client's web host.  It is extremely rigid.  If you want a program that
works the way they want and looks kinda like Buy.com with a table-based
layout in 3 columns with certain visual effects, it's fine.  If you want to
change or customize anything, good luck.  Nearly everything is hard coded
with HTML and presentation PHP and business logic PHP all mixed in together.
With a table based layout.

Ugh.

As for using pre-build vs. rolling your own, the main reason I favor
ready-made is the bank hookups.  Anytime financial stuff is involved, I'd
rather use something someone else already debugged than roll my own.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson