Re: xmlrpc_decode vs. xmlrpc_decode_request

On Thu, August 17, 2006 4:10 pm, Shu Chow wrote:
> Hi, I have a question that's been bugging me for a while.  What's the
> difference between xmlrpc_decode and xmlrpc_decode_request?  _request
> takes an extra parameter, $method, but I can't figure out what kind of
> effect it has.  I can pass a totally bogus parameter to it.
>
> What's the difference between these two functions, and what does the
> $method parameter do?

Since the second parameter, $method, is actually &$method, it probably
doesn't matter what you pass *IN* to it -- It's probably going to have
something interesting in it after the function is called.

It's kind of like having a second, optional, return value that you can
use to see what happened.

A documented example of this usage is in 'exec':
http://php.net/exec
As you can see, the $output and $error parameters are optional and
&$arg indicates that PHP will be altering whatever is in them.

Given that your mystery parameter is called $method, I'm guessing that
you will be told what method of decoding, if any, was done on the
data.

//Try something like this:
$data = xmlrpc_decode_request($xml, $method);
echo "Method returned was: $method<hr />\n";
echo "<pre>"; var_dump($data); echo "</pre>\n";

Once you figure it out, please add a User Contributed Note, so
everybody else will know.

And then maybe somebody can promote your notes into the actual docs
and call it done. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm