Re: Cookie Variables Maxing Out Using IE6

On Wed, August 16, 2006 9:00 am, dpgirago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Does IE6 limit somehow/somewhere the number of cookie variables I can
> create and store?

Richard Lynch responded:
> Yes.
>
> Read the Cookie spec.
>
> There's no need for any site to ever send more than ONE Cookie anyway.
>
> Just use session_start() and you can store all the stuff in $_SESSION
> and it's all tied to the one Cookie.
>
> Users like me who set the browser to prompt for Cookies will often
> LEAVE a site that is being stupid and sending too many cookies, unless
> we really really really need your content, which is unlikely.

So you're calling my app "stupid", Richard?? <lol>

To clarify, the app is for a small group of known users on an intranet, and
yes, they really really need the content. There are 24 check boxes, and
each selection triggers a graphical display of radiation levels in a
specific area over the last hour. Since the active areas - 12 to 15 usually
-  don't change all that much over time, I thought it would make sense to
have the app "remember" which boxes had been checked at last launch. I
didn't like the idea of using cookies, so I actually have a database
solution in place. But I've not dealt much with cookies, and I had some
time and tried to use them to solve the problem. That's when I ran into the
20 cookie limit with IE (Having just read the spec, I'm surprised that
Microsoft has actually followed it).

Unless there's something basic about $_SESSION variables I've missed, I
don't believe they would work here. I need to track and remember which
boxes are checked between sessions, not within a single session. Someone
please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks again to Adam Zey for suggesting I serialize the cookie data. That
solved the problem.

David