Re: PHPSESSID used sporatically

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:26:17 +1000
Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Michael B Allen wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:06:08 +1000
> > Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Is session.use_trans_sid switched on?
> >
> > Yes. It is. After reading about it I can't quite see what benifit it
> > provides. Should I just turn it off?
>
> It depends on your site.
>
> If you do something like this for a search:

<snip>

> I could send someone a url with the sessionid on the end of it, and it
> won't have to do the bit in the middle, it will be able to jump right to
> the end (the foreach loop).

I'm not doing anything like that. Sessions are only used to prevent
duplicate form invokations. But my boilerplate code calls session_start
for all .php pages. I suppose I should be more selective to make things
a little more efficient.

But I'm still confuse.

Why aren't cookies alone sufficient to satisfy the session code?

Is PHPSESSID used because of some kind of transition from a PHP page
that calls session_start to a page that does not?

Does session.use_trans_sid simply enable the PHPSESSID in URLs or does
it have a deeper semantic?

The URLs for the tabs my site are not dynamically generated and yet
they're being rewritten. Is that PHP or Apache doing that?

Mike

--
Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SSO