Re: IMAGE LOADED...

On Sun, August 13, 2006 8:03 am, tedd wrote:
>>  This leads
>>to the opposite problem of IE caching DYNAMIC images when it should
>>not, which is a whole different rant. :-)
>
> In that case, I just added a random string to end of the image url
> like so:
>
> images/myimage.jpg?a=adj12k4mfdi
>
> If I remember correctly, it seemed to work.

Works okay for images on MOST browsers, but not some ancient IE versions.

Will also fail as a generalized technique for a PDF if the user has
configured Adobe Reader to open in a Adobe rather than as a plug-in.

Also fails as a generalized technique for the PDF embedded in an FDF.

Basically, IE simply does not deal well with Rich Media (non-HTML)
dynamic content.  It's quite narrow-minded on what can be "dynamic" on
the Internet.

I personally would recommend that folks solve this problem in a
generalized way using URL re-writing with $_SERVER['PATH_INFO'] as I
have posted in the past (several times, actually) because that
solution works well across the board, and means you can re-use the
code for Images, PDFs, FDFs, Ming (PHP-generated Flash), MP3s, etc
instead of having different code-bases for each.

The basic technique for this is posted in a rant here:
http://richardlynch.blogspot.com
in case anybody cares.

--
Like Music?