Re: New Large Scale Project.

Wesley Acheson wrote:
Basically the different areas I would need are authentication,
galleries (for images), permission levels.  Internal messaging (not
real time), forums (hopefully I can just plugin an existing one but
intregrated with my new so that registering users for the site
registers for the forum and vice versa, also I would like each new
gallery entry to create a new forum entry for that image).   Comments,
ratings and such like. Sales (This would have to be a script written
elsewhere, I am in no way confident when it comes to dealing with
sensitve info like credit card details.) etc. etc.

My other problem is even though I'm confident coding I find design
very difficult I've a good idea of how the website would work but only
in general terms.

Out of the box mambo or drupal doesn't seem to do what I want really

I use Joomla quite a bit (Mambo by an other name).

I've used the bridge components and Menalto Gallery and it works pretty well. THere are various core hacks you can apply too to setup varying permission levels and other stuff. Simple Machine Forums also has a good bridge component (it's what the Joomla forums themselves use).

So with a little fiddling you can probably make Joomla do what you need.

If you are not confident dealing with CC payments and the like, then I strongly suggest you use a third party service for this.

Col.