Re: Comment form spammer

On Wed, August 9, 2006 11:33 pm, Micky Hulse wrote:
> Yeah, I would prefer to not setup a CAPTCHA too (although, I would
> like
> to learn how to script one)... hopefully implementing your (and
> everyone
> else's) great suggestions will really make my script hard to spam.

I rolled my own, because I thought it would be a useful learning
experience.

And, I kinda sorta documented it.

Well, I put the source up on-line anyway. :-)

So here's one crude hack way to do it, if you just want the basics of
how it's done:

http://voodookings.net/eyesonly_example.htm

After you pass the CAPTCHA, it links to source.

The connect.inc file is not available, as it has database password in
it, but other than pg_connect() there is nothing interesting in there
anyway.

You're on your own converting the oh-so-complicated (not!) SQL to
MySQL instead of PostgreSQL...

I'm pretty sure just changing mysql_query() and flipping $connection,
$query to $query, $connection will do it.

Note that if you are already using SESSIONs, then you could just toss
the $token in $_SESSION -- I, however, was not, and did not want to
start issuing cookies just for the CAPTCHA to work.

The web2 dictionary is Webster's older dictionary, now in the public
domain, and is installed on my server by the webhost -- so presumably
is readily available.

I also intentionally added zero "noise" to my CAPTCHA -- though you
obviously can make the PNG as complicated as you like.

I figure if the spammers want to OCR the CAPTCHA, I'm just gonna take
the damn guestbook down.

Though I later did that kinda thing for a client, and it ain't as
tricky as one might think...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm