Re: stupid question...compiling php

I'll bet your hosting environment has not installed the php sources.
If the server is shared with other clients, you'll probably need to
download the source and compile php in your user space and run it as a
CGI (if your host allows this configuration).  Hopefully they have
some allowances for this, you may want to check with them.

I can do phpinfo but that