Re: client<->server upload communication?

On Sun, August 6, 2006 9:56 am, tedd wrote:
> I posted this question on a js list, but didn't received an answer.
> Maybe someone here might be able to provide some insight or direction.
>
> In my ajax "experiment" monitoring states, namely:
>
> http://xn--ovg.com/ajax_readystate
>
> I can see the readyState replies/conditions.
>
> Is there something similar when uploading a file or image?

Not yet, in PHP, unless you patch it, or do some kind of icky hack
with Javascript and a ton of overhead HTTP traffic.

> There has to be some sort of communication between the sender and the
> receiver, right?

Yes.

> If so, is there a way to tap into that communication?

Not yet, in PHP, but there is a patch in the works for it, from what
I've seen on 'internals' list, and you can Google for "PHP File Upload
Progress Meter Patch" and find several variants on the same theme.

Apparently every Designer in the world wants their own upload progress
meter because none of them like the browser's upload meter. :-;

Of course, you still need to get that info *BACK* to the browser if
PHP is the one monitoring the upload progress -- It seems to me like
the BROWSER ought to be providing a hook to this client-side, since
that's where you want the progress meter.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm