Re: What good are constants if you can't use them in an array?

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 15:24 -0700, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> *sigh*
>
> Why is PHP so lame...

Why are you trolling on the PHP list?

> <?php
> class PHPISLAME
> {
> const STOP = 0;
> const START = 1;
> const PAUSE = 2;
>
> public static $STATES = array(
> 				STOP => 'Stopped',
> 				START => 'Started',
> 				PAUSE => 'Paused'
> 			 );
>
> public static $STATESHACK = array(
> 				0 => 'Stopped',
> 				1 => 'Started',
> 				2 => 'Paused'
> 			 );
> }
>
> print_r(PHPISLAME::$STATES);
>
> print_r(PHPISLAME::$STATESHACK);
> ?>
>
> What is this crap!!?:
> Array ( [STOP] => Stopped [START] => Started [PAUSE] => Paused )
>
> Array ( [0] => Stopped [1] => Started [2] => Paused )

PHP assumes type string for for undefined constants. If you weren't so
lame and had error reporting at a high enough level you would have been
well notified. My guess is that you are referencing a constant before
the class has been declared. You are expecting that the class
information exists at the same time of declaration. While I'm sure there
are ways to make it happen, it's up to you to ask the PHP internals to
solve your chicken egg problem... and I doubt it will happen with your
lame attitude.

Cheers,
Rob.