Re: PHP Frameworks - Opinion

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 12:35 -0400, Gabe wrote:
> What's the common consensus as to a solid PHP framework to use for
> application development?  There seems to be a number of them out there,
> but I'm not sure which one's are the most robust, actively developed,
> secure, etc etc.

OK, from my side, we have 2 frameworks, one more mature than the other.
Both are pretty much the same architecture (MVC everything abstracted,
multilingual etc) but one is specifically geared for php4 and the other
php5.1.2 and above.

Both are GPL licenced and make heavy use of pear objects.

You can download the KEWL.NextGen application, built on the PHP4
framework, KINKY (Yes its a recursive acronym), or go for the less
mature, but much more fun PHP5 framework (Chisimba - A Chechewu word for
the wooden pole framework used to build a traditional African house).

Both are products of Africa, made in Africa as part of a collaborative
network of over 16 African Universities and 60 developers all over the
continent. If you contribute to this project, you are not only sharing
code, but building skills in Africa! :)

Both projects can be downloaded from http://avoir.uwc.ac.za (CMS module
on KINKY) and the PHP5 stuff can be accessed at
http://5ive.uwc.ac.za/app/ . We will be making a first public
pre-release of this in the next couple of days...

Both projects have very active developer and user mailing lists.

Let me know if you need some more information!

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm