RE: AES client side

The algorithm may be exposed but the internal data may not be. If the
javascript, through AJAX or some other method, holds a 'private key'
internally you might be able to duplicate the public/private key
methodology of most encryption systems. This though essentially
duplicates the SSL layer, but does allow you to use other algorithms
which are similar but which may have different traits that you want to
work with, such as not requiring SSL, or being transparently encrypted
to the user. I wouldn't suggest it but it is POSSIBLE from a proof of
concept viewpoint and could, theoretically, have some usefulness.