Re: Basic PHP knowledge test

On 7/19/06, KermodeBear <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone have any links/resources for a
> basic php knowledge test?  If not, I'll have to
> write one from scratch myself, and mess up the
> rest of my day of goofing off/sleeping.

It wouldn't hurt to pick up one of those Zend PHP Certification study
guides
and pull some things from there. Or, browse the PHP manual for commonly
used
functions and ask questions from there.

Assuming that doing so was either "Fair use" or authorised by Zend, and that
you aren't going to get your ass sued for copyright violation - then again
maybe on a small enough scale.

What might work better though would be to pull some questions from this
mailing list and ask them how they would answer them. It will give you
some
insight into their knowledge of PHP as well as how well they can solve
problems using the language.

To an extent. I personally think the best way is to outline a set of
situations and have them write scripts to solve that problem. You need to
know that they have both the knowledge and language to solve a problem. It
doesn't really matter if they know the syntax of strpos, if they know other
methods of solving their potential problems.

Perhaps a CSV to MySQL converter - although not exactly that, because I've
mentioned it on the list :p

That, in my (not so) humble opinion, is better than just knowledge of the
language. You need to know how to apply it to be a decent programmer.

HTH. I would be very interested in seeing what you come up with, actually.
(o:

After the person sitting the exam has passed their test.

-K. Bear