From: Adam Zey [mailto:azey@xxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 4:35 PM
To: Andrew Kreps
Cc: PHP General Mail List
Subject: Re: Fwd:  Recurs Directory Delete

Andrew Kreps wrote:
> [forwarding my response to the list, as the reply function didn't quite
> work]
>

> Actually, that's not true.  'rm -rf' removes all files, directories
> and subdirectories.  Microsoft's del has no analogy to that (although
> there was a deltree command in older versions of DOS).  You still have
> to manually (or programmatically) iterate through the directory
> structure and run 'del *.*' and then 'rd directory' in every single
> subdirectory to achieve the same result that the single command 'rm
> -rf' gives you on UNIX-like systems.
>
> On 7/14/06, Adam Zey <azey@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> So? Windows has this thing called the "del" command that does the same
>> thing as "rm".
>>
>> Regards, Adam.

Sure it does. I logged into a Win2K box and got help for rmdir/rd:

C:\>rmdir /?
Removes (deletes) a directory.

RMDIR [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
RD [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path

     /S      Removes all directories and files in the specified directory
             in addition to the directory itself.  Used to remove a
directory
             tree.

     /Q      Quiet mode, do not ask if ok to remove a directory tree with /S

It seems like "rmdir /S /Q <directory>" is exactly identical to "rm -rf
<directory>". It deletes a directory tree (the -r), and doesn't prompt
or display anything (the -f).

So, yes, this *CAN* be done on Windows. Sorry if I was wrong about del
originally, but my point stands, Windows is not entirely crippled when
it comes to the shell :)

Regards, Adam.