Re: GD to database directly

On 7/11/06, Adam Zey <azey@xxxxxx> wrote:

The time taken per request, though (and that's about all we can get with
a concurrency as low as 5) doesn't tell us much. We also don't know
exactly what the PHP code is doing, how it does it, how your database is
organized/indexed/accessed, if you have any PHP accelerators installed
(Normally the PHP script would be reconverted to bytecode every
execution), etc.

Additionally, your test isn't really MySQL versus filesystem, it's
PHP+MySQL versus filesystem. Perhaps a more useful comparison would be
PHP+Filesystem versus PHP+MySQL. As in, the same PHP script for both
benchmarks, except one copy uses file_get_contents and echo (Closer
match than readfile, since MySQL would require loading the file into
memory) and the other uses MySQL. This would be a closer match that
would tell us how much latency is induced by the actual database itself
rather than PHP and loading stuff into memory.

Regards, Adam.

I was just running a simple test based on how I work with images.  I
usually upload one, resize it on the fly, and save a new image which I
directly link to.  Therefore I don't need anything to read and send a
raw image through PHP.  If you think that is a valid test, then
perhaps you should use your own time to achive your adequate
benchmark.

As for my script:
<?php
$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'test', 'test') or die('unable to connect');
mysql_select_db('test') or die('unable to select');

$sql = "SELECT imagedata FROM images WHERE id = 1";

$result = mysql_query($sql);
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);

header('Content-Type: image/jpeg');
echo $row['imagedata'];

There is an auto inc primary on the id column.

I have APC disabled during this test so that isn't a problem.