RE: GD to database directly

[snip]
How much of a performance hit?
[/snip]

Here is an interesting read;

http://mysqldump.azundris.com/archives/36-Serving-Images-From-A-Database
.html

"Your system receives a number of file read requests, requesting it to
load a number of blocks from the disk into the mysqld process.
Eventually, the blocks show up in the buffer cache, and mysqld is woken
up, receiving file data for the read requests."

But I will say this, in this day and age there may not be the
performance hit that we had in days gone by due to improvements in
software and hardware, so I may have misspoken. I do believe in a one
for one comparison where we use PHP and the file system or PHP and MySQL
on the same box that, however minimal, there will be a difference
favoring the file system using the same images.

I also believe that these methods should be compared to using MySQL to
hold data about the image so that the benchmarks could be run like this;

PHP + File System
PHP + MySQL (where MySQL stores a BLOB)
PHP + MySQL (data only) + File System

The reason for the last one is that is the likely way these technologies
would be used together.

I spend a lot of time utilizing the MySQL command line and other similar
query analysis tools for MS-SQL and Oracle. Image BLOBs become more of a
hindrance than a help at this level because these tools are not designed
to properly parse and display the files. This is important because it
adds to my bias against storing images in a database.