combine implode() and array_keys() to get a string of key names

PHP List,

I've got a series of associative arrays that contain simple string values that I want to insert into my database.

In each array, the names of the keys correspond to the column names in the database table. The values stored in the array are, of course, the values that I want to insert into the columns.

So, I want to set up a function where I can pass the array as an argument, and it will construct the MySQL statement using the keys for column names, and array values for insert values.

   Within the function, the query looks like this:
$query = "INSERT INTO table (" . $columns . ") VALUES = (" . $values . ")";

Assuming that the array argument passed to the function is called $array, converting the array values to the insert values is pretty easy:
   $values = implode(", ", $array);

But in the case of using the array keys for column names, it's not so easy:
   $columns = implode(", " array->keys($array));

I know that code above doesn't work, because, as described in the manual, array keys returns a list of the numerical indexes along with the string indexes. Something like this:

Array
(
   [0] => column1
   [1] => column2
   [2] => column3
)

   At least, that's what it looks like if it's just echoed out.

Is there a way I can strip out the relevant column names to be more like this:

"column1, column2. column3"

   Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G