Re: Programming question - New to PHP

On Wed, June 28, 2006 6:58 pm, Russbucket wrote:
> I took an example  of a script from the PHP documentation and try to
> connect
> to my database.   If I leave in the or die part of line 3, I get
> nothing, if
> I comment out that part I get the echo message on line 4.
>
> <?php
> // Connecting and selecting the database
> $conn = mysql_connect ('localhost', 'finemanruss', 'XXXXXXXl') or die
> ('Could
> not connect :  '  . mysql_error());
> echo 'Connected successfully';
> mysql_select_db ("Lions", $conn);
>
> // Preform SQL query
> $query = 'SELECT * FROM Moses_Lake_Lions';
> $result = mysql_query ($query) or die ( 'Query failed;   '  .
> mysql_error());
> ?>
>
> I know line three works without the or die part since I have a 2nd
> script that
> is almost the same (no or die) and it retrieves info from my DB.
>
> Can anyone point me to some tips or solutions to the or die problem?
> This
> script is located in the mysql ref section of the php manual. I'm
> using php5
> on SUSE Linux 10.0 with a mysql database.

Odds are REALLY GOOD that the "or die" is fine...

Try this:  Change line 4 to be:
echo 'Successfully connected: ', $conn;

If $conn shows something like "Resource #4" then you know you have a
good connection.  If it shows "false" or nothing, then you know the
connection is not working, and or die() is doing the right thing.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm