RE: Multiple "if()" statements

On 30 June 2006 13:37, tedd wrote:

> At 11:07 PM -0600 6/29/06, John Meyer wrote:
> > Larry Garfield wrote:
> > >
> > > switch is fine if your elseif comparisons are equality
> based.  If they're not equality based, then they don't map to
> switch as well.
> >
> > In other words, if you look at a logical ladder as the roots
> of the tree, as long as each root has the same number of
> forks (say each fork ends only one way), your fine with a
> switch.  If you have one, however, that has only one
> condition, and another that has  two, then you need an
> if...elseif logic tree.
>
> Interesting -- can you give me an example?

How about this -- a paraphrase of which occurs in many of my scripts:

   if (isset($_POST['id'])):
      $id = $_POST['id'];
      // etc. -- other initializations based on $id
   elseif ($_POST['action']=='add'):
      $id = generate_id();
      // initialize stuff to empty values
   elseif (potential_other_test_to_detect_other_valid_states()):
      // other stuff
   else:
      KaBlooie();
   endif;

Of course, that *could* still be implemented using the switch(TRUE) technique (and I've used that elsewhere), but in a case like this instance I prefer the if/elseif construct.

Cheers!

Mike

Headingley Campus, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: m.ford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx