FTP - moving/copying files

I'm setting up an ftp manager which allows a user to connect to their space
on an external server.

All the php-ftp functions work fine - after I'd realized how to use the
passive functionality - see previous email to list!

I've also got working the download and upload functionality, which is quite
nice, but annoying - it doesn't allow you to download the file without
creating a temporary version (whereas if it were a local copy you'd be able
to copy it to a variable, then echo it out...

Finally, what I now need to do it be able to move/copy files within the FTP
space.  The standard FTP commands (mv & cp or copy) are not featured in
php-ftp functions.  Does anyone have any suggestions bar copying the whole
lot to a local drive then upload in the new space?

Cheers

Nunners