Re: Programming question - New to PHP

Russbucket wrote:
I took an example of a script from the PHP documentation and try to connect to my database. If I leave in the or die part of line 3, I get nothing, if I comment out that part I get the echo message on line 4.
<?php
// Connecting and selecting the database
$conn = mysql_connect ('localhost', 'finemanruss', 'XXXXXXXl') or die ('Could not connect : ' . mysql_error());
echo 'Connected successfully';
mysql_select_db ("Lions", $conn);

// Preform SQL query
$query = 'SELECT * FROM Moses_Lake_Lions';
$result = mysql_query ($query) or die ( 'Query failed;   '  . mysql_error());
?>

I know line three works without the or die part since I have a 2nd script that is almost the same (no or die) and it retrieves info from my DB.

Can anyone point me to some tips or solutions to the or die problem? This script is located in the mysql ref section of the php manual. I'm using php5 on SUSE Linux 10.0 with a mysql database.

Thanks in advance.
You want the or die part in... otherwise you are being told you are connected when you aren't. Though I do not know why you would have no output. Maybe you are logging messages instead of displaying them.

Respectfully,
Ligaya Turmelle
--

life is a game... so have fun.