Re: serve long duration pages

John Gunther wrote:
You're right <sads (self-administered dope slap)>, my task is really not a web function except for the need to trigger it from an admin page. I'm going to use the PHP command line interface to run it without web interaction. However, there are still situations where a web script may sometimes involve long run times depending on the parameters supplied by the user (an example might be a SQL execution page where the user-supplied query could range from simple to very complex). I'd still like to know how to communicate via PHP that I want an infinite timeout for a particular web page..

lets start by saying that any webpage script that takes that long to run is
shit by design.
John

As I said, have you tried outputting a constant stream of invisible HTML such as '<b></b>'? Spit one of those out every second or so and the browser might be happy. You'd have to do the query asynchronously, though, since you'd need to output the tags while it was executing.

Regards, Adam.