Re: templating

On 22/06/06, Miles Thompson <miles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 08:10 AM 6/22/2006, Ryan A wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A pal of mine needed some help on his project, he is
>using a "header" and "footer" file to "template" his
>project... but its gotten a bit complicated as he has
>a few dynamic parts in the header and footer files, so
>I told him to go with a proper templating method of
>templating the whole page rather than includ()ing the
>top and bottom.
>
>After having a better look at his scripts, I am just
>not sure if something big (like SMARTY for instance)
>would be good for him. He just needs maybe 5 template
>pages, same pages, different color.
>
>Searching google I see literally hundreds of
>"templating solutions" can anyone recommend a simple
>one or should I tell him to just use str_replace() for
>tags like: {{menu_here}} {{header_here} etc?
>Something like SMARTY would be like using a nuke to
>kill a fly (IMHO) esp since this project will not
>expand to anything much bigger or complicated.
>
>Thanks!
>Ryan

I agree with Ryan - here is an example of a simple template I am using on a project at the moment. Stylesheets are used to control look and feel and the body tag is assigned a class so that different pages can use different layout elements. Hope this helps.

--
http://www.web-buddha.co.uk
http://www.projectkarma.co.uk