Re: templating

Ryan A wrote:
Hi,

A pal of mine needed some help on his project, he is
using a "header" and "footer" file to "template" his
project... but its gotten a bit complicated as he has
a few dynamic parts in the header and footer files, so
I told him to go with a proper templating method of
templating the whole page rather than includ()ing the
top and bottom.
This somewhat a "religious" issue for some, but my personal opinion is that PHP is often very good at being a simple template system. Just assign your variables beforehand, and display them with the <?= $var ?> tag. (I do this with entire pages, split up into chunks for various parts of content.)

I.e. template_head.php:

<?php
   <head>
     <title><?= $page_title ?>
     <?php foreach ($css_files as $fn) { ?>
     <?php } /* end foreach ($js_files) */ ?>
 </head>
?>

etc...

Then your page would look like:

<?php

/* Assign some variables */
include('template_head.php');

/* A little workhorse code, assign some more variables */
include('template_content1.php');

/* Assign even more variables */
include('template_foot.php');
After having a better look at his scripts, I am just
not sure if something big (like SMARTY for instance)
would be good for him. He just needs maybe 5 template
pages, same pages, different color.
Smarty is also excellent. (I still prefer pure PHP though. :-)
Searching google I see literally hundreds of
"templating solutions" can anyone recommend a simple
one or should I tell him to just use str_replace() for
tags like: {{menu_here}} {{header_here} etc?
Something like SMARTY would be like using a nuke to
kill a fly (IMHO) esp since this project will not
expand to anything much bigger or complicated.
Why kill performance when you don't have to?

jon