Stream download problem

I have a site that generates a file to be streamed down. The relevant code is:
header("Content-type: application/vnd.ms-excel");
header("Content-disposition: attachment; filename=$EXPORT_TIME.txt");
header("Content-disposition: attachment");
header("Pragma: no-cache");
header("Expires: 0");
echo $filestring;
die();

$EXPORT_TIME has been set to a valid filename in earlier part of script. The script has been called by the user clicking on a line similar to

If the browser in use is Firefox, Mozilla, or almost anything, it works correctly. If the browser is Internet Explorer, the download fails. It appears in that case that the filename expected is the full url used to call the page (e.g. easy.php?download=stream&dltype=full) which is an invalid filename, hence the failure.

...and before you suggest it, *NO*, I cannot tell my client that they can't use Internet Explorer.

Can anyone offer any help?
---Michael