Re: shutting down a web app for maintenance

On 6/20/06, Adam Zey <azey@xxxxxx> wrote:
Shutting down Apache would do the trick ;) But if you're in a shared
hosting environment that may not be possible.

Yeah, don't have full control over the server in this case.

As for sessions, it depends how you track them. You can't kill all PHP
sessions in one go, but you could have your web app nuke the sessions of
users after they come back after maintenance. Something like
first_login_after_maint in the database, that if set to true, mandates
that any existing session data be destroyed before continuing.

How about iterating through the /tmp directory and deleting all the
session cookies? On second thought, that would kill all the sessions
for other apps as well.

I assume that the reason you want to kill session data is because the
data and how it is used would be different after the maintenance?
Because otherwise, if you've denied all access to ANY of your webapp's
php scripts, it shouldn't matter if the user has session data. If you
physically move the web app's PHP scripts (Or set up a redirect, etc),
they can't do anything with it.

I didn't have a specific reason for doing it, just wasn't sure what
the ramifications of having open sessions alive through the
maintenance period and afterward might be so I thought it best to just
kill them. It doesn't sound like anything horrible can happen except
some inconvenience maybe.

Regards, Adam