Re: How to run one php app from another? RECAP

On Mon, June 19, 2006 8:13 pm, Chris wrote:
> Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
>> Excuse me... in which scenarios isn't fork() available?  As far as I
>> know, it even works on Windows (albeit slower... not that you'll be
>> gaining any performance by curl'ing your URL - that's actually
>> slower
>> than fork()).
>
> It's (probably) not that the fork() etc commands don't work on
> windows,
> just that the php functions don't.
>
> http://www.php.net/pcntl

fork() in anything other than CLI/CGI is dangerous because PHP
extensions (and/or web-server extensions) are not known to be
thread-safe.

So, by definition, when you fork in a web-server, you are just ASKING
for an intermittent bug, that will be virtually impossible to catch
with QA and which will bite you in the ass when you are slashdotted,
i.e. at the worst possible time.

If your run a special PHP server with NOTHING loaded into it, no
mysql, no gd, no nothing, you could *MAYBE* have some reasonable
chance of it not puking all over you blue suede shoes...

But I sure wouldn't bet the company bottom line on it.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm