PHP Session

Hi Folks,

Bit of an unusual question here, which is basically as a result of my lack
of understanding as to how Sessions work.

I've created a Captcha image solution for an application I look after, and
when we came to look into something that required debugging, I realized I'm
using sessions without understanding how they work.

Basically, the login includes an image, and textbox for the captcha text.
The image then generates a session with a variable name of x, and a value of
the characters from the captcha image.  The user then logs in, including the
text on the graphic.

## IMAGE CODE:

session_start();

$_SESSION['captcha_text'] = $randomly_generated_text;

The login check page obviously checks the username and password, and also
does the following:

## CHECK LOGIN CODE

session_start();

if ($_SESSION['captcha_text']!=$_POST["captcha_text"]) {

            #FAIL LOGIN TEXT

}

session_destroy();

It works a treat, however what I want to understand is how the session is
kept relevant to that particular user's session - mainly because my boss
wants to check there's no security implication.

We've thought this through and believe that in other applications, there is
also a cookie or post/get variable set in the form, which includes a
reference to the session name.

Are we missing something, or is it really magic?

Cheers

Nunners